Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Journey of Walking Through 2009

In September 2009 God spoke to me and said ‘I want you to meditate on Psalm 23’. I opened my bible to refresh my memory and to be frank wasn't sure I wanted to meditate on a chapter that held the words, "...though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death". Although since God had already been talking to me about the words 'walk' and 'through' it made complete sense as this had been my walk this last year. A few weeks later I sat down with the Lord and WE WALKED THROUGH verses 1-5 which state:

1 The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Let's start with verse 1 - Shepherd is the original Latin word for Pastor. As I did some research on what the role of a Shepherd is - it spoke loudly of provision and direction. As I read verse 2 and 3 they were exactly that but it also speaks restoration and peace. If we notice - all of these things that we like walking in came before the 'walk through' verse OR is He trying to show us that we can have ALL those things as we 'walk through'.

When we got to the first half of verse 4 God had already showed me 'through'. We can't go around, above or under but only through. I certainly couldn't hide under the covers until it was all over either. Then He began to speak to me about 'walk'. I laughed the first time He said, 'walk'. I replied, "you mean I can't run through unscathed." We had a good laugh as I realized that was exactly what I was trying to do.

We looked at the second half of verse 4 that begins with ‘I will fear no evil…’. In July God had answered a question I had for 2 years. In a nutshell I was still walking in fear in many areas of my life. The process of removing those fears began in July but I'm still in the midst of 'walking through' them with Him. I needed to be reminded that it says, 'for you are with me'.

 Then He says that His rod and staff they comfort me. So what is a rod and staff? Through Websters dictionary and accounts in the Bible they many times reference discipline and authority. Here began the revelation filled with hope, comfort and understanding. It came in two pieces. The first was that to walk through was not running under His wings being afraid of what's outside but instead to walk with Him in the fear of the lord (reverence) which diminishes all power of the enemy. "Greater is He who is in me that he who is in the world". If we know the first part to be true then we understand it is not by our own strength or fight that we walk through the valley. It is by His authority that we are comforted. Basically it's not our fight - it's our surrender to Him that walks us through the valley. It means a deeper level of release followed by a deeper level of increase of Him – that is the Valley.

 Stay with me here as I share with you my questions and His answers that got me to that place. If God allows all things (which we know from the account of Job) and everything is His (Psalm 24:1) then when we feel we are "under attack" or "in warfare" doesn't it beg to ask the question, "Lord what are You working out in me that You would allow this to happen"? We experience Him in deeper levels through testing’s, trials, tribulations, joy, peace, etc...

 I recently heard preached - God systematically dismantled each god the Egyptians had through the plagues. The plagues weren't for the Egyptians they were for the sake of the Israelites to know He is who He said He was - I AM! God knew what was coming and they needed to KNOW who He was, is and is to come. So God what part of You will I discover through this valley of shadow of death I walk through? This question really gave me a whole new meaning to "rejoice in your sufferings" and James 1:2-5.

 Then it led me to my next thought - then why do we fight with the enemy and allow him to wear us down? How do I praise You through this valley from my heart and not just words being forced through my lips? If my eyes are truly fixed upon You would I even notice the wiles of the enemy....or would I just see my Father who loves me? I believe that He gives me an ample walk to allow the wounds to be healed and lies to be plucked out and exchanges them for more of Him…..all through the Valley. It allows Him to give me the desires of my heart....more of HIM! I told God after this to forgive me for being such a stubborn fool as I have unintentionally fought to keep the very thing I've asked Him to remove.....my flesh!

 As I end please don't get me wrong I believe the enemy wars with us but in this last year I have begun to see that if the enemy is warring then God had to allow it. Believe me I know that isn't something that is easy to walk in so this must come with revelation from God above. We can only walk in what we are ready to receive. I'm not sure I'm all the way there yet either as I’m still walking through it and He's not done with me.  Let's keep walking it through one step at a time together with the I AM, our Father.

 This is the first blog I hope of many as God walks me through a deeper level of Him through the spirit of Revelation.  I believe that there is power in our testimonies.  If you choose to follow I would love to build a network of testimonies.  Please share yours as the Lord leads. 

With His Love and Blessings,
Bethany

4 comments:

  1. Amen, Bethany.

    Nothing is outside God's control and His will is being accomplished in us (as He removes the junk by any means necessary). Can't wait to hear more of what God releases in and through you. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you are finished walking through Ps 23 with Him, take the time to read Phillip Keller's 'A Shepherd Look s at the 23rd Psalm' One of my all time favs!
    Love you!
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praising him in midst of the storm- always a fun truth to walk in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good Bethany...you are walking through a lot but at the end of this all you will be shining and able to help others in ways you can't even comprehend. You are a blessing girl!!!

    ReplyDelete