Sunday, January 30, 2011

Faith Like a Potato

Tonight I watched a movie I'd seen a long time ago called "Faith Like Potatoes" based off of an inspiring true story.  There was so much I was gleaning towards the end but the parts that stuck out were of tested faith and trusting what God gives us.

Towards the end the main character feels led by God to plant potato seeds during the middle of a drought in Africa.  The local pastor (church) has become his sounding board and had always been supportive but in this moment he says, "there is a fine line between faith and foolishness..." and discourages him from planting.  His friends kept saying, "it's impossible". Then the bank (world) called to place fear in him.  I realized in that moment God was testing his faith and even those placed around him didn't believe what God had spoken to him.  Tested faith becomes it's purest when there is a grand canyon of opportunity to doubt and fear but instead we choose to trust in Him. 

The man's response was poetic, "A condition for a miracle is difficulty but for a great miracle its impossibility."


I have spent many times gauging how well I heard God based upon the response from those around me.  Not too long ago I shared something and it didn't get much support in the beginning and it caused me to doubt.  But there was a tenacity inside me that KNEW I had heard correctly.  As God grew the word inside me and I continued to speak it out He began to open it up to those around me.  As I look back my faith was being tested and built to not rely on man's response but on God.


As the movie continued the man was obedient and still the rain never came.  On top of the soil the plants appeared to be dead and the crop lost.  Harvest day came months later and what they dug up were potatoes larger than they had ever seen.  At this point I was once again crying out to God.  He then spoke, "you are in a season where the rain has not come and yet I have had you plant seed on what looked like dry land.  Below the surface the harvest is growing and I need you to trust in Me."  This hit a very tender place as this morning I found myself literally fighting for my thoughts to stay in Him and not agitated at my circumstances.


If you haven't seen the movie - I recommend watching it. I also encourage you to hold tight to the Word God has placed inside of you. 


As we have heard many times....

2 Corinthians 4:18 - So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;


Blessings,

Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great movie. I've had many times where things I'm passionate about barely register a response in other people (and maybe I was one who didn't respond much when you told me), but it does always come down to trust. If we know it was God who spoke, we've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Thanks, Bethany. Be encouraged- He is always faithful...

    ReplyDelete